Thursday, May 29, 2008

it may be no big deal to you...

...but Lyle Lovett is coming back to Vancouver! Whoo hoo. It seems like only yesterday I was imagining a movie where Lovett and Fred Ward teamed up as a pair of detectives who solve crimes the old fashioned way (whatever that means) by day and sing country & western music at night. Yeah, that'd be all right.

I saw Lovett a little over a year ago with my bro and my sis and the ever-lovin' CS Rippen. Lovett was on a tour with John Hiatt, Joe Ely and Guy Clark, where they all sat on stage together and told stories and played on each others' songs and it was pretty damn great. My dad was supposed to come out for the concert, but at the last minute bailed out, so that's how the Ripper became an honourary Matheson.

This time Lovett's bringing his Large Band (as opposed to a Big Band) and will probably be playing songs from last year's brilliant album It's Not Big, It's Large. Nicole told me that Lovett was going to be here tomorrow night, and with such short notice, I figured there was no way I was gonna be able to make it. But it turns out that Lovett won't actually be here (and by here I mean the Orpheum) until July 24. So I still have time to miss it.

mp3: "No Big Deal" by Lyle Lovett & His Large Band
mp3: "All Downhill" by Lyle Lovett & His Large Band

No comments: